Where: Annapolis Area Library, 1410 West Street, Annapolis.
To learn still more about raising chickens, I recommend the blog of Calvert County’s garden, food and chicken writer Robin Ripley. It’s been chronicling her adventures in chicken-raising for years now – just click on the chickens category.
From Robin’s brand-new website, Eggs and Chickens, we begin to understand why raising chickens for eggs is becoming so popular:
- Eggs from well-tended backyard chickens are healthier.
- Eggs from backyard chickens are tastier.
- Chicken droppings enrich your compost.
- Chickens provide natural insect control.
- Their scratching for bugs is good for the soil.
- Chickens are a great way to meet people and start conversations.
- Chickens are fun and interesting.
- Backyard chickens provide lessons for children about responsibility and where food comes from.
Click here for Robin’s more complete explanations of these points.
Photos by Robin Ripley.